Saturday, November 8, 2008

4 am

Dismayed, disillusioned and appalled
The clock strikes 4
And the mad woman emerges
CUCKOO CUCKOO
The slow melody from the stereo
Begins to skip and break
Not unlike the life we share
Frustration and heartbreak grab my glass
And whip the stagnant whiskey against the wall
The stream trails down
To form an inlet in the corner
Where I huddled many a night
As I bartered my sanity to keep on loving you
The scenes play over and over
Like a horror movie I can't shut off
And a voice in my head
That sounds oh so much like you
Taunts me incessantly for compromising myself
Again and again
Just to keep you around
Headlights from a car driving in the world outside
Cast shadows on the wall that continue dancing
Long after the revving engine can no longer be heard
You know something funny? The only tale sicker than our epic is
Oedipus Rex. But he was fated- what's your excuse?
I try to imagine what the unknown sensation
Of you holding me would feel like
As I try to convince myself that one of the voices
Is you whispering that you really do love me
Even after everything
Only I can't feel it
The strange numbness has set in
The one that takes me over only when I think of you
(A defense mechanism, no doubt)
The voices cackle

No comments: