Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I'm in Love!!!

Wishing
That I could be the woman
Sitting across from you at the table
Because, in your eyes, I'm perfect
A glass, long since drained of the whiskey
Slowly catching tears
Drops in a bucket
As the hair falls unseen
And sexily
Over one eye
And the cigarette
Smolders
As it limply dawdles
At the end of my
Gorgeous, inviting, sultry
Pout

You'd be furious
Scream
'Stop your crying you fucking cunt!'
And I'd look up
With my puppy dog eyes
And you'd melt
Go and fill up my glass
And apologize
Only to go into round two
Mere minutes later

But you'd never lay a hand on me
See, you would've already tried that
Weeks... months... years? Earlier
And have found
That its simply not worth it
Because you...
The foul mouthed, drunken, stinking bastard
Are at heart
A good man
And the guilt eats away at you
Even more than my crying would
Even
EVEN
When we've long since forgotten
Why I started in the first place

Once we played all necessary rounds
And tried our hand at the bonus
Only to find there is no goddamned winner
We'd go to bed
Your arm slung limply
Over my
Not-perfectyet-still-desirable-to-you body
So you could be sure I wouldn't
Get up and go
Sometime when you weren't peeking
And your snoring
Drowning out any of my thoughts

I'd sleep
In such a way that I woke up
Even more exhausted
Puffy circles and all, though
I'm beautiful in your eyes
Because women like me
Are perfect for you

Dawn comes
And in the sunlight
We look at eachother
In such a way that makes us both squint
And, for a brief moment
We wonder if we really looked like that
When we went to bed the night before

No words spoken
You sit at the table
I put a bowl and box of cereal in front of you
While I go pour us
Another drink of whiskey
Because it's another day
Another reason for me to cry
Another reason for you to scream
Another reason for us
To cling onto each other
Tighter than ever

You look at me
Cockeyed
And say
I love you, dear
I look back and smile
Knowing
I'm right where I belong

No comments: